This is a repeating event2020-04-22 18:00
15apr18:0020:30FeaturedHow to Develop Bodhicitta: Module 10 of Discovering Buddhism programDiscover the clear meditation instructions available in Tibetan Buddhism that enable you to develop your innate qualities of loving kindness and compassion. Become skilled at applying these techniques to generate bodhichitta, the wish to attain enlightenment for the benefit of others, which is the very heart of Buddha’s teachings.
(Wednesday) 18:00 - 20:30 CET
Discover the clear meditation instructions available in Tibetan Buddhism that enable you to develop your innate qualities of loving kindness and compassion. Become skilled at applying these techniques to generate
Discover the clear meditation instructions available in Tibetan Buddhism that enable you to develop your innate qualities of loving kindness and compassion. Become skilled at applying these techniques to generate bodhichitta, the wish to attain enlightenment for the benefit of others, which is the very heart of Buddha’s teachings.
Ideally, for participants of Discovering Buddhism program. But anyone who has some basic understanding of Buddhism is welcome to join this Module.
What we believe in Buddhism is that we all have incredible potential. We have potential to become complete human beings. We have the potential to become really awake. By awake, we mean completely free of all disturbances of negative emotions, of harmful attitudes. We have the potential to fully develop our capacity for love, compassion and wisdom. But to be able to realise that potential we need to know methods. We need to work at developing our wisdom in order to be able to achieve this.
What will I learn on this course
In this course you will be able to get answers to questions like these:
- What do you mean by awakening?
- What do you mean by enlightenment?
- What is that attitude wishing to achieve, or to experience, this full awakening that’s free from suffering, with fully developed positive qualities?
- What is that attitude, or that state of mind, all about?
- Why would you want to do that?
- Why would you want to become enlightened?
- What’s the point of it?
- Doesn’t sound so easy to achieve, (it isn’t so easy to achieve), so why would you want to?
- What are the benefits of it?
What will I take away from this course into my daily life
The aspiration with this course is that participants will be able to integrate reflection skills into their daily lives. Whenever we are caught up in disturbing emotions, we can reflect on the root cause of our dissatisfaction and difficulties and apply knowledge accumulated in the course to overcome those emotions. By studying about the gradual path to awakening, we develop more conviction that we can free ourselves from suffering and help others do the same.
More about this course
Below is a short description of each session.
Session 1 – Realizing Your Greatest Potential
- Welcome and motivation
- What is your greatest potential
- What makes life meaningful
- What is bodhichitta
- Four Noble Truths
- Hinayana and Mahayana
Session 2 – Benefits of Bodhichitta
- Motivation meditation
- Bodhichitta vs self-cherishing
- Benefits of bodhichitta
Session 3 – Methods for Developing Bodhichitta
- Methods for developing bodhichitta
- Sevenfold cause and effect
- Developing equanimity using meditation
- Meditation: Equanimity
- Equanimity (continued)
Session 4 – Recognizing All Beings as Mother
- Motivation meditation
- Recognizing all sentient beings as mother
Session 5 – Remembering the Kindness of All Beings
- Remembering the kindness
- Meditation: Remembering the kindness of all sentient beings
Session 6 – Wishing to Repay the Kindness
- Wishing to repay the kindness
Session 7 – Great Love
- Great love
- Meditation: Loving kindness
Session 8 – Compassion
- Questions on compassion
- Benefits of compassion
- Meditation: Four-Arm Chenrezig
- Superior intention
- Need to practice
Session 9 – Summary of Sevenfold Cause and Effect
- Summary: sevenfold cause and effect
- Meditation: Sevenfold cause and effect
Session 10 – Equalizing and Exchanging
- Equalizing and exchanging
Session 11 – The Disadvantages of Self-Cherishing and the Advantages of Cherishing Others
- Disadvantages of self-cherishing
- Advantages of cherishing others
- Exchanging self for others
Session 12 – Tong Len: Taking and Giving
- Tong Len: Taking and giving
- Meditation: Tong Len
Session 13 – Wishing and Engaging Bodhichitta
- Combined method
- Wishing and engaging bodhichitta
- Bodhisattva vows
- Meditation: Equalizing and exchanging
Session 14 – The Six Perfections
- Six perfections
- Benefits of six perfections
- Causes for practicing six perfections
- Definition of six perfections
- Definition of six perfections (continued)
Who is teaching the course
Kaisa graduated from the FPMT Master Program at ILTK Italy 2008-2014. She also studied Media & Communication at Stockholm University and at the College of Journalism. Kaisa has long experience of working as a Communicator, both with Art and in Public sector with cultural and social projects. Kaisa leads the Discovering Buddhism two-year study program at Yeshe Norbu.
When is it
Start and end dates: April 15 – June 10, 2020
Session duration: 18.00-20.30
Number of sessions: 9 (out of all 14 sessions the rest being offered in fall 2020)
Day of the week: Wednesdays
Good to know
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the course start to register.
We have a fika break.
We have 20% discount for students, retired, and employed. Use “Reduced course fee” coupon to use this discount.
Regular price – 1820 kr
Reduced price – 1460 kr
14 weeks (of which 9 weeks in spring 2020)
FPMT Master Program at ILTK Italy 2008-2014 among other studies, for instance, Media & Communication at Stockholm University and at the College of Journalism. Long experience of working as a Communicator, both with Art and in Public sector (with cultural and social projects).